Boîte à Lunch comes to the Point!
Fun, interactive cooking workshops
The Boîte à Lunch cooking program made its debut in fall 2019!
As of fall 2019, Share the Warmth, in affiliation with The Depot Community Food Centre, offers the Boîte à Lunch cooking workshops. Boîte à Lunch is a fun, hands-on after-school cooking program, which aims to get students involved in the preparation of healthy, delicious meals. These workshops teach children about nutrition, and healthy eating and lifestyle habits and aim to reinforce the food security of their families. Furthermore, the workshops strengthen participants’ confidence and build autonomy. Through Boîte à Lunch, the kitchen becomes a space to learn, share, build bridges and make friends!
Workshops are offered after school and on Saturdays:
- For Grade 4 and 5 students from Jeanne-LeBer: workshops are held on Wednesdays from 2:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Jeanne-LeBer School.
- For Grade 4 and 5 students from Charles-Lemoyne School: workshops are held Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Share the Warmth.
- For Grade 4 and 5 students from St-Gabriel School: workshops are held on Fridays from 2:40 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Share the Warmth.
- For youth 8 to 16 years of age: workshops are held on Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Share the Warmth.
Registration is already open for the winter semester, which will start in February 2020. Sign up today.
Fun, educational cooking workshops for students in the three Point Saint-Charles elementary schools
- Two semesters (10 weeks each) of nutrition and cooking activities per school year for Grade 4 and 5 students.
- Preparation of a healthy recipe in a team environment, which includes understanding each step involved in the preparation of the recipe, the ingredients and tools needed to make the recipe and the execution of the recipe.
- One healthy meal per participant at each workshop.
- An opportunity to learn culinary techniques and best practices for kitchen health and safety.
- An opportunity for participants to discover new foods from around the world.
- Interactive activities that build healthy eating and nutrition knowledge.
- A recipe book filled with all the recipes prepared during the workshops to encourage participants to recreate these meals at home.
Boîte à Lunch workshop structure
- Two recipes per week, providing a healthy meal for each participant. Recipes get more elaborate as the semester progresses and are designed to expose participants to a variety of culinary techniques and ingredients. The meals prepared are affordable and easy to recreate at home.
- Each workshop includes an educational activity. These activities teach children culinary techniques and provide an opportunity to practise them, share nutrition knowledge and explore the current food security issues. Each workshop begins with the tasting of a “star ingredient.”
- The workshops are designed to empower youth and include several opportunities for participants to get actively involved. For example, a chart is used to enable participants to track their progress. Our recipes and activities were designed to highlight participants’ choice and autonomy.
To learn more
Please contact Emily at (514) 933-5599 ext. 228 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org